Adapting to a new life....missing home

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Hey 6B,
Thank you guys so much for your well wishes for my study in America and special thanks to ernie for coming down all the way from bukit panjang all the way to the airport in the wee hours of morning. The parting at the airport was an emotional moment but I was really touched....Haha now the blog has become fairly saturated much alive then it was before. It looks great! Even Miss Yang's friend is chipping in to help you guys!
Life in America is great ! I think it was a decision made that took me out of my comfort zone for better or for worst and I was trusted into the unknown. The first few days were difficult. I had adaptation problems, some of the ang mohs speak so fast and they have a different culture that really challenged my Asian values. They tend to think that Asian ppl are easy to bully so I had to stand up against them a couple of times and stay firm on my beliefs. My first friends were in fact Asians. The other Singaporean and the Hong Kong ppl here are quite helpful and the ppl in the Asian community especially the Chinese community tend to help each other out. I am in the midst of planning celebrations for MAF over here! Bringing the Hwa Chong culture to Deerfield! Haha! Ppl here are generally quite smart in one way or another. It is one of the best high schools in the country and I am now struggling to find my niche area fast. It is a game of survival. Most often, you have to do or die...haha not that serious but times like that do occur. I am now taking Astronomy, American Literature( Compulsory) , American History, AP Math and AP Physics. It is a nice combination.
My only problems are with American Lit and American History. Their command of English is something that I did not understand till the day I came here so for those of you guys planning to come over...be prepared that there is a very big jump from Singaporean English to American English. By the way, for any of you guys planning to visit, just drop me a note! and E mail me!!haha...I am very willing to keep up correspondence with you guys! All the best for your promos dudes!



Yiyong